|Purpose:||The Research component of the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) Class Grant and Contribution Program to support Research, Awareness and Learning in Space Science and Technology provides financial support to organizations to conduct space related research and development in priority areas. It will support targeted knowledge development and innovation to sustain and enhance the Canadian capacity to use space to address national needs and priorities in the future.
The Announcement of opportunity “ Flights for the Advancement of Science and Technology (FAST)” aims at:
- Fostering the continuing development of a critical mass of researchers and HQP by providing a training ground for both the current and next generation of scientists and engineers;
- Supporting the development of science and technology relevant to the priorities of the CSA through the use of research platforms including stratospheric balloons, aircraft, sounding rockets, nanosatellites, cubesats, ground-based facilities and field sites.
More specifically, this project entitled " Canadian Balloon Experiments for Research Education and Training (CABERET) " has the following objective (s):
- To develop a 3-axis Search Coil Magnetometer (SCM) for flight on stratospheric balloon missions as part of a multi-instrument payload from the preliminary design phase through to launch, operations and subsequent data analysis and research,
- To train HQP in the development of flight instrumentation and software, in the Integration and Testing of NASA BARREL balloon payloads and, in supporting the data operations of the BARREL balloon flights,
- To conduct scientific research into the causes of the loss of radiation belt electrons into the atmosphere using data collected from the BARREL and CABERET balloon experiments and supporting ground-based and satellite, especially RBSP, experiments.|